March 10, 2010
Beautiful day today, lots of sunshine and very few clouds. A bit nippy in the morning, but becoming very pleasant as the day goes on.
For the last few weeks, I have been doing some fixing up in room 8. The bathroom door that was installed by the previous owner was very badly done and reflected badly, I thought, on the quality of the Manor. And the exterior door to the patio was in very bad condition and the casing did not match the casings in the rest of the house. So I decided to rebuild and re-hang the bathroom door and fix up the exterior door. A couple of months ago, just before Christmas, I found 3 panels of stained glass which we bought for the purpose of installing them in room 8. One of the panels is the correct width to go into the door and the other 2 panels will go into the bay window.
One side of the old bathroom door was a single flat panel; the other side is a mirror. The mirror is fine, but the single panel was not in the style of the rest of the house so I decided to add some moulding to break it up into several panels. I had to rely on glue alone to hold all the new work in place because I didn’t want to do any nailing because of the mirror on the other side. The last thing I wanted was to have to replace the mirror.
This is a photo of me working in the living room of the cottage because it is too damp in the studio for the glue to dry in a reasonable time. I had to lay in ¼” flat sections to create the panels and then I milled some existing mounding to get something as close to the existing mounding in the house as I could. It is not perfect, but it is pretty close. The one compromise that I made was with the bottom panels in the door. Although the other doors in the house have the bottom panels running horizontally, the exterior door has vertical panels. So, because these 2 doors will be side by side, I decided to so vertical panels in the bathroom door.
As with all projects like this, once you start, you end up re-building the whole house. There were some cracks in the old plaster that didn’t look very nice so I thought that while I was at it, I would have a go at them as well. Here, I have dug out the loose plaster and cleaned the crack so that I could begin to fill them. But that will have to wait until tomorrow.